Home termite infestation in the Bay Area is not uncommon. Maybe you noticed some signs of them around your home’s foundation or had a professional termite inspection done by a company like PestGuard Solution. No matter how the issue was discovered, panic is usually the first feeling that sets in. It’s soon followed by questions like, “How did I get termites?” or “Why my house?”. But the big question is, what’s the most effective termite treatment to solve your particular problem?
COMMON SIGNS YOU MIGHT HAVE TERMITES
Equipping yourself with the knowledge to understand termite feeding habits and behavior will go a long way in knowing when you should call for a house termite inspection to determine the extent of the problem and the best option to treat it. The sooner you can spot this and act on it, the less damage they can cause. Termites feed on wood, so homeowners should look for:
- Tiny holes in wooden materials such as trim, floor joists, furniture, and walls
- Wood that sounds hollow
- Mud tubes or tunnels running up foundation walls
- Wings in windowsills left behind by flying termites
- Crumbling wood or maze-like crevices in wooden structures
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR A TERMITE INSPECTION OR TREATMENT?
If you’ve called for a termite inspection or have an appointment for termite treatment, there are some things you can do around your home to prepare for us, ensuring we have the access we need to the places they like to nest and feed.
- Remove items from under sinks in kitchens and bathrooms
- In the garage, move any items about two feet away from the walls
- Ensure we can access the attic easily
- If there is a crawlspace below the house, make sure we can access that
HOW CAN I PREVENT TERMITE INFESTATION IN MY HOME?
The best defense against termites is taking preventative measures. By minimizing the conditions and environments they’re attracted to, you can help protect your home and property. Take a look around your house and consider these steps.
- Get Rid of Excess Moisture – Leaky faucets and pipes can soak the wood in cabinets and basements. Keep gutters unclogged and pointed away from your home.
- Tidy Up Landscape – Keep wood, limbs, dead trees, and other debris away from your home. Don’t stack firewood against the house.
- Keep an Eye on Your Roof – Rainwater that leaks into your home can create wet wood. Keep your roof in good repair.
- Be Vigilant – Know and understand the signs of termite activity. As soon as you notice anything that resembles it or looks suspicious, give our team a call.
TAKE THE RIGHT PRECAUTIONS FOR TERMITES
We help property owners in the Bay Area understand home conditions that attract termites. Prevention is always the best first step. But if you notice signs of a termite infestation and need to schedule an inspection, contact our team of professionals today.